Get Involved. Every choice to participate makes Schiff stronger.
Aside from all the ways your involvement benefits the school at large, your own child benefits most.
“When schools, families, and community groups work together to support learning, children tend to do better in school, stay in school longer, and like school more.” That’s the conclusion of A New Wave of Evidence, a report from Southwest Educational Development Laboratory (2002).
The report, a synthesis of research on parent involvement over the past decade, also found that, regardless of family income or background, students with involved parents are more likely to:
* Earn higher grades and test scores, and enroll in higher-level programs
* Be promoted, pass their classes, and earn credits
* Attend school regularly
* Have better social skills, show improved behavior, and adapt well to school
* Graduate and go on to postsecondary education"
Invest in your school.
Whether you prefer to volunteer on campus, after hours, or from the comfort of your couch, we have opportunities to fit your availability.
If you enjoy interacting with kids, we have a number of regular commitments as well as one-time events where your time would be valued.
Prefer adult conversation to the chatter of little people? Consider joining a committee or comitting a couple hours to the VIPS room or to helping with a teacher luncheon. You can say "hi" as your child passes in the hall, and then return to your quiet task.
Have time to share but only outside of work hours? We have a number of opportunities. Some events occur in the evenings. There are a number of projects, especially for the Publicity and Yearbook Committees, that can be done at home after the kids are in bed while you enjoy your favorite show!
Not enough minutes left in the day? No problem! Check out the "Donate" section next door.
To volunteer on campus, the district REQUIRES adults to complete a simple background check!
The PTO uses funds raised throughout the year to make significant capital investements in the school. These purchases are made possible by the generosity of Schiff families. How can you contribute?
1. Contribute what you can during Shark Week. Some of our most prized donations are the quarters scraped together by students committed to helping us achieve 100% participation! No amount is too small.
2. Contribute food/paper items to teacher luncheons or class parties. These contributions simply require you to throw an extra item or two in your grocery cart and then send them to school with your child.
3. Buy Sharkwear! Purchase a yearbook! Your kids will love the sense of belonging that comes from wearing their t-shirt on Fridays and having classmates sign their yearbook at the end of the year.
Schiff hosts several events throughout the year to faciliate community and to raise money. Every time you attend, you have the opportunity to meet your child's friends and teachers, make connections with other families, and draw the Schiff community a little closer.
Family Nights give kids and parents a chance to relax and play together with other Schiff families.
The twice annual Book Fair fosters a love of books and literacy, helps stock teacher libraries, and raises valuable funds for our library.
Schiff's beloved PE teacher, Coach Colianni, encourages student and family participation in a number of events, including the Houston Kids Triathlon and local 5K's.
PTO Meetings allow you to connect with your board and with other parents to make important decisions about PTO resources.